Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My favorite opinion piece

I would have to say my favorite opinion piece is the one about gay rights. This one stands out to me and is special because my best friend is homosexual. The subject was equal rights and special privilege. It states "During his presidency, Bill Clinton passed a bill that allows states to choose whether or not they will legally acknowledge gay marriages." The question on the subject was "do you think that Maine should legalize gay marriage?" In my response I wrote "In my opinion I think gay marriage should be legalized in Maine. I think that love and happiness is most definitely is a civil right. I also believe that No one should feel excluded from love. We as human beings have a right to love. Saying that love has a gender is like saying that flowers only come in one color"
I had a very easy time writing this piece and have strong feelings because I have witnesses the pain from being excluded from marriage. As I said before my best friend is homosexual. It has been a life changing Experience overall. You never know how something will effect people until you witness it first hand. I really hope that in the future people can move on from this and just accept people for who they are and not judge. I think that anyone who thinks gay marriage is wrong is selfish. People deal seeing things everyday they don't approve of but that doesn't mean that it's wrong. Many other things that are way worse than gay marriage is going on right now. Notice they are not out with their Hate signs protesting the things that really do matter. Things that don't make people happy. Marriage makes people happy. Gay marriage isn't hurting anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment